Thursday, October 29, 2009

In the beginning, a problem


My mother inherited a miniature painting from my grandfather. It was a woman in old-fashioned clothes--blue dress with lace cuffs and a white bonnet. Presumably my grandfather knew whom the painting depicted, one of the women from a previous generation. He labeled it G-G Grandmother Devoe. And that's where the mystery starts.

What we don't know for sure is whether he wrote from his own point of view, or whether he wrote those words for his mother, whose business he took care of. His 2x great-grandmother is a different person than his mother's 2x great-grandmother.

It's too late to ask, so I have begun a quest to find out anything I can about the painting and it's painter. I know the following:

1) The painting depicts a woman who lived in New York state, possibly in Homer, New York.

2) The artists signature is "Wybrants 1855".

Simple right? All I need to do is look up an artist named Wybrants. This shouldn't be hard. After all, a new Leonardo Da Vinci painting was just discovered, based on his fingerprint. The art world is supposed to be organized...

No comments:

Post a Comment